There is a legend that Mughal Sobedar, Mirza Hossain Ali Khan built a palace in the present place of upazila headquarters of Chandina upazila in Comilla district. He set up a big lamp on a high pillar in front of the palace for fear of tigers. The lamp illuminated the entire area with bright light and local people called the area as Chandi meaning a place of light of the moon. Subsequently the place where the upazila headquarters is located became known as Chandina with some phonetic corruption of the previous name Chandi. The upazila came into existence as a Thana in 1876.
As per the information’s provided in the Wikipedia: Chandina township is a class B municipality, which is located at the extreme north of the upazilla by the Dhaka - Chittagong Highway. The upazila occupies an area of 201.01 sq. km. or 77.61 sq. mile. The upazila is bounded on the north by Muradnagar and Dabidwar upazilas, on the east by Burichang, Comilla sadar and Barura upazilas, on the south by Kachua upazila of Chandpur dustrict and on the west by Daudkandi upazila. The population of the Upazila as per the National Census-2011 of the Bangladesh Government is 3,50,273 and was 3,06,054 in 2001. At present there are 1 Pouroshova, 13 Union Parishads, 121 Mauzas and 223 Villages in Chandina upazila.
Below are some latest pictures of various places in Chandina upazila, most of those taken between April-May, 2013 and the images were taken from buses while on journey through the Dhaka – Chittagong National Highway.
other related posts about Chandina:
Educational Institutions in Chandina Upazila
Populations of all the Villages in Chandina upazila
In 1876 Chandina came into existence as a Thana